Thursday, July 12, 2007

It's been a while since I posted a new installment of this series, but the music industry seemed to have taken a break from doing things that really annoy me. However, they are back at it again. But, really, who is surprised?

As you may have heard, seventies band The Rubinoos have accused Avril Lavigne of ripping off one of their songs entitled "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend." Can you guess what Avril song has the very similar refrain? In case you're not familiar with the Rubinoos song, you can listen here (along with the comparison to "Girlfriend").

Well, that's not all. Now there's suspicion that one of her songs called "I Don't Have To Try" is a rip-off of Canadian band Peaches. The comparison of their song, "I'm the Kinda" and Avril's can be seen/heard here.

Listen for yourself and see just how similar both songs are. This is disgusting. She's stealing these people's music. That's just tacky and uncalled for. As gossip champion Perez Hilton pointed out on his website, Avril is trying to defend stealing the Rubinoos song by saying that she's never heard it. But Hilton pointed out that there's no defending stealing the Peaches song, as InStyle magazine did a feature on some music celeb's lists of "most influential" songs, and that same Peaches song was Avril's #1.

There's no defending that.

At it doesn't end here. Check Perez Hilton's page to read on (scroll down a bit to find the Avril stuff... though there's some other tasty celebrity gossip there too).

I'm too disgusted to talk about it anymore. I was never that big a fan of Avril Lavigne's anyway. I liked maybe one song. "Complicated" annoyed me. Don't get me started on "Skater Boi" or whatever it was. I'm glad that I don't have to be a disenfranchised fan -- because really, no amount of loyalty should be able to stand behind this kind of action (unless of course you're 9 and don't know any better... which most of her fans may be anyway).

Of all the awful things that happen in the world of the celebrities and music and hollywood, this is probably the lowest you can go. Never steal anyone else's artistic hard work. Disgusting.

It's one thing that will make NOT <3 Rock Stars...

No comments: